Contact Us  |  Help  |  Home 
Log In  |  Register 
About Our Church

This historical marker was erected by the congregation in 1970.
Founding of St. John's:
In the Colonial Council minutes of Feb. 5, 1754, we read "The compactness of the German settlement in the Forks of the Broad and Saluda Rivers made possible a church organization and it was for the service of these settlers that the Rev. John Gasser, Reformed Minister left Switzerland in 1752. Coming by the way of Pennsylvania, he did not reach Charles Town to petition for land until 1754 but at that time, he had agreed with the settlers to preach in two churches, one in the lower part of the Fork, the other farther on. He was given the bounty - his 50 acre plot was surveyed about 3 miles from the mouth of Crim's Creek - a spot convenient for this and nearby German settlements. The church seems to have been organized at once."
First Church Built: In 1754, a crude little log cabin was erected to serve as a church and a school house. This house evidently was built on vacant land adjacent to Pastor Gasser's property. A granite marker designates the spot where this first church stood.

Second Church: This second church was built of logs, hewn 6 x 10 inches, the corners dovetailed in the old German Style. It occupied land which today is part of St. John's Cemetery.

Old White Church: All the nails, hinges and other hardware were handmade in the shop of Capt. John A. Summer, grandson and namesake of the pioneer settler. This church served as a house of worship for 141 years and probably is the oldest frame Lutheran Church building in South Carolina.
Several old St. John's artifacts have been preserved and can be seen at St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church through the Historical Ministry.


Old White Church: The third church, generally known as the White Church was built in 1809 under the leadership of St. John's eighth pastor, Rev. Frederick Joseph Wallern (whose remains lie in the cemetery of St. Paul's Lutheran Church.
Page Links
 St John's Lutheran Church  Church Memories
 Calendar  Pomaria Softball
 About Our Church  Boy Scout Troop 76
 Copyright Policy  |  Privacy Policy  |  RSS Feeds  |  Site Directory  |  Site Map  |  The Store
 
Contact Lutherans Online
866-201-1522
RSS feed icon   Facebook icon   Twitter icon   LinkedIn icon  
 
         
Thrivent Financial Contact Thrivent Financial
800-THRIVENT
(800-847-4836)
Appleton Office:
4321 N. Ballard Road
Appleton, WI 54919-0001 USA
Minneapolis Office:
625 Fourth Avenue S.
Minneapolis, MN 55415-1624 USA
 
         
Insurance products issued or offered by Thrivent Financial, the marketing name for Thrivent Financial for Lutherans, Appleton, WI. Not all products are available in all states. Products issued by Thrivent Financial are available to applicants who meet membership, insurability, U.S. citizenship and residency requirements. Securities and investment advisory services are offered through Thrivent Investment Management Inc., 625 Fourth Ave. S., Minneapolis, MN 55415, a FINRA and SIPC member and a wholly owned subsidiary of Thrivent. Thrivent Financial representatives are registered representatives of Thrivent Investment Management Inc. They are also licensed insurance agents/producers of Thrivent. Fee-based investment advisory services are available through qualified investment advisor representatives only.
 
Trust and investment management accounts and services offered by Thrivent Trust Company are not insured by the FDIC or any other federal government agency, are not deposits or other obligations of, nor guaranteed by Thrivent Trust Company or its affiliates, and are subject to investment risk, including possible loss of the principal amount invested.